DC's Joker and A Look Behind Lightning

First, let me disabuse you of the idea that I think that I know so much that I could analyze a giant like DC.

All that I am is a viewer with a humble opinion and a writer who wishes she could create a villain of the same caliber as the Joker, such that many actors aspire to play the part and then be labeled the quintessential Joker,
Or that my character be the super villain of a major comic book series,
Or that I have a villain who is the subject of a major motion picture of which the actor receives an Oscar.

What writer wouldn't want that?
What I am is a reader of the original DC and Marvel comic books.  Yes, the originals! My brothers and I had them all, and I would be filthy rich if my father hadn't gotten tired of our stacks of comic books and destroyed them all.  But anyway that's another story. This fact does not make me an expert either, but what it does do is give me the right to state my opinion along with everyone else.

Next, my family and I go to the movies and view both Marvel and DC movies and Star Wars.  We usually take up an entire row at the movies, and afterwards we go to dinner where I find myself in a vigorous discussion about super heroes and super villains. (I wish you could be there).

So these are the reason, that I want to discuss the Joker.

Okay, here we go:
Some people didn't like him, or they found the movie to be too dark. But that's how it was supposed to have been. It wasn't a "feel good" movie because the Joker isn't a feel good character. There is little in Gotham City that isn't dark. 

Next, people say the movie didn't follow the comic books. The movie wasn't intended to follow the comic book story line. When we entered the movie, we did not enter the comic book scene-scape. All the dark elements of Gotham City were in the movie, but I thought of the story as a backstory, giving me more information than what was in the comic book and/or giving me possible explanations for the Joker's dark, distorted, insane life.

Think about who's telling the story? That's hard to say because if we are in the head of the Joker, what he saw and heard and did certainly wouldn't be organized or consistent. We would be in the head of someone who was always on the verge of insanity and who, indeed, went all the way insane.

What if it weren't in the Joker's point of view? But then how sane could any narrator from the Gotham City be?  I think the only one in Gotham City who has any level of sensibility is Alfred, but he always struggles with the Dark Knight and his darkness and contradictions as well. So -----?

So, my conclusion is that the Joker's world is dark and confusing because he lives in Gotham City and because he wouldn't have evolved into the unredeemable super villain that he is, if things were not confusing and inconsistent in the first place.

--Spoiler Alert--
You hate him but then feel sorry for him at the same time because who he thought was his mother turned out to be not his mother at all (maybe) or because who he thought was his father wasn't his father at all. So viewers left the movie not knowing where the hell he came from. He could be the spawn of the devil for all we know.
Or that who he thought was his brother wasn't his brother at all, maybe or was he? Because his father was a made up father, or was he, and his mother was a made up mother, or was she?
And his made up television father, mocked him. Then how could the movie be anything but dark and confusing and troubling, and what else could he be but dark and confusing and troubling? This is the stuff of a super-villain!

I take notes from DC. I hope my bad guys in A Look Behind Lightning I and Book II to be release soon can be half as complicated and unredeemable.

Please! I welcome your comments and/or disagreements.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Made-up or Real

Who are those people and what have they seen?